Sunday, 24 April 2016
Continental-style cafe culture at Funky Scottish
A family enjoy spring sunshine on the village square, #Pittenweem.
Our Funky Scottish cafe-gallery-boutique is now open everyday for spring-summer xo
ps. Thank you Lisa for sharing your photo!
Friday, 8 April 2016
"If you're lucky enough to live by the sea, you're lucky enough".
This cute quote is never more true than when you are lucky enough to live in the East Neuk - and specifically in Pittenweem - home to the Funky Scottish cafe-gallery-boutique.
On the other hand, without a bit of local knowledge, it's easy to miss out on everything happening beneath the surface - what a journalist can tell you is really just a drop in the ocean! If you're a new visitor or recently-arrived resident, learn a few lessons from the locals and discover the simple pleasures of everyday life in Pittenweem. It's the perfect way to support the community. In fact, you can become a part of what gives our community its spirit!
So, dip your toes in the water....
- take a morning stroll on the high street, buy a loaf from the artisan baker, fish from Bowmans or at the seasonal FMA fish shop at the fishmarket on the harbour...
- make eye contact, smile and say hello to strangers
- be a fisherman's friend; visit the fisheries museum, support RNLI or The Fisherman's Mission
- choose local gifts for your loved ones, from a boutique like Funky Scottish
- visit the local pub and get to know real people, real fishermen, real stories....
- ramble along the coastal path to a string of postcard-perfect east neuk villages
- taste a just-caught lobster, dressed crab or Pittenweem prawns from The Fisherman's Larder
- get to know the side streets, discover the 'neuks' and crannies
- live in the outdoors - plant a garden, bathe on the beach, grow your own, eat alfresco
- venture along School Wynd, Bruce's Wynd, Water Wynd, Calman's Wynd, West Wynd and the well-hidden "Ghosty Wynd" - know the wynds and you know the village
- visit the Funky Scottish cafe for an Illy coffee and delicious hand-made cakes.
- pamper yourself with a massage from a trained, local therapist
- love your local farmer and enjoy the fruits of his labour
- place an order with celebrated Penmans Butcher of Crail...and have it delivered to your door!
- take a deep breath of the fresh sea air - it's so good for you!
- get your fish & chips from the local's favourite - the little retro shop on the high street in Pittenweem
- talk to your neighbours
- keep the coast clear - reduce, reduce, reduce your plastic, reuse and recycle
- be kind to the ocean and support a marine conservation charity
- be inspired by the local water babies...and go wild swimming
- take part in local festivals in the area; food and arts and more arts.
- eat an ice cream from the little seafront shop, watch the waves as your worries melt away...
- play on the seaside swings
- indulge in handmade, chocolate specialities from The Pittenweem Chocolate Company
- If you need a place to stay, choose accommodation with character in the heart of the village. We can recommend Driftwood Cottage, The Cooperage and Kirkgate Cottage.
- relax, you're on the coast, the pace is slower and that's a good thing.
- take the plunge....
Welcome to Pittenweem!
Main image via Visit Scotland
Wild swimming image via Ben Howard - Every Kingdom (great seaside music)
Ice cream shop image via Conde Nast Traveller.