"If you're lucky enough to live by the sea, you're lucky enough".
This cute quote is never more true than when you are lucky enough to live in the East Neuk - and specifically in Pittenweem - home to the Funky Scottish cafe-gallery-boutique.
On the other hand, without a bit of local knowledge, it's easy to miss out on everything happening beneath the surface - what a journalist can tell you is really just a drop in the ocean! If you're a new visitor or recently-arrived resident, learn a few lessons from the locals and discover the simple pleasures of everyday life in Pittenweem. It's the perfect way to support the community. In fact, you can become a part of what gives our community its spirit!
So, dip your toes in the water....
- take a morning stroll on the high street, buy a loaf from the artisan baker, fish from Bowmans or at the seasonal FMA fish shop at the fishmarket on the harbour...
- make eye contact, smile and say hello to strangers
- be a fisherman's friend; visit the fisheries museum, support RNLI or The Fisherman's Mission
- choose local gifts for your loved ones, from a boutique like Funky Scottish
- visit the local pub and get to know real people, real fishermen, real stories....
- ramble along the coastal path to a string of postcard-perfect east neuk villages
- taste a just-caught lobster, dressed crab or Pittenweem prawns from The Fisherman's Larder
- get to know the side streets, discover the 'neuks' and crannies
- live in the outdoors - plant a garden, bathe on the beach, grow your own, eat alfresco
- venture along School Wynd, Bruce's Wynd, Water Wynd, Calman's Wynd, West Wynd and the well-hidden "Ghosty Wynd" - know the wynds and you know the village
- visit the Funky Scottish cafe for an Illy coffee and delicious hand-made cakes.
- pamper yourself with a massage from a trained, local therapist
- love your local farmer and enjoy the fruits of his labour
- place an order with celebrated Penmans Butcher of Crail...and have it delivered to your door!
- take a deep breath of the fresh sea air - it's so good for you!
- get your fish & chips from the local's favourite - the little retro shop on the high street in Pittenweem
- talk to your neighbours
- keep the coast clear - reduce, reduce, reduce your plastic, reuse and recycle
- be kind to the ocean and support a marine conservation charity
- be inspired by the local water babies...and go wild swimming
- take part in local festivals in the area; food and arts and more arts.
- eat an ice cream from the little seafront shop, watch the waves as your worries melt away...
- play on the seaside swings
- indulge in handmade, chocolate specialities from The Pittenweem Chocolate Company
- If you need a place to stay, choose accommodation with character in the heart of the village. We can recommend Driftwood Cottage, The Cooperage and Kirkgate Cottage.
- relax, you're on the coast, the pace is slower and that's a good thing.
- take the plunge....
Welcome to Pittenweem!
Main image via Visit Scotland
Wild swimming image via Ben Howard - Every Kingdom (great seaside music)
Ice cream shop image via Conde Nast Traveller.